1. Cook pasta according to package directions; rinse and drain.
2. Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid; pour liquid into measuring cup. Add milk to measure 2 cups.
3. Melt butter in saucepan; stir in flour and basil. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat for 3 minutes. Stir in reserved liquid; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired. Stir in tomatoes.
4. Spread thin layer of sauce on bottom of 8x11-inch or 2-quart baking dish. Top with 1/3 each of noodles, sauce, ham, then cheese; repeat twice.
5. Bake uncovered at 375°F for 25 minutes. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese or sliced green onions, if desired.